Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Everyday I'm smuggling...

I've always been a big fan of smugglers in Star Wars. The idea of going to strange locations, getting mixed up in unexpected trouble and....barely making ends meet? Um...okay, maybe that last one isn't very exciting. I'm kind of a conservative introvert, so I'm not sure that I would be up for that kind of thing in real life. But I'd like to think that if space ships and aliens were involved, I'd be in like Flynn.

Needless to say, I was pretty excited to paint up these two Rebel Smugglers: Jyn and...Alliance Smuggler (seriously? Lame. We can do better. In fact, we will. From this day forward, Alliance Smuggler will be known as Baldr Dash. Ha.). I can't attest to how well they play in the campaign mode. But they are both fun characters to run in Skirmish mode. You just need to be sneaky with them, as they don't have a lot of life and can go down quickly if you're not careful.

Jyn and Baldr Dash
Normally I'm not too concerned if the miniatures that I paint match what they look like on the card art. But I'm a big fan of orange, so I decided to paint Jyn pretty close to the card art. I tried to make her orange jacket pop a little more than I normally might. Usually I do a few highlights, but it still tends to come out subtle. So I decided to do more and brighter highlights. It actually comes out a little yellow in some spots. I'm still not sure how I feel about it.

Look at that brown stripe!
When painting Baldr, I didn't remember what his card art looked like, and didn't really care. If you listen to the Hutts, smugglers are a dime a dozen...a credit a dozen? So why should they all look alike? I knew that I wanted white, grey and green in the color scheme (I also sneaked some orange in there as well).


There must be some real kick to that blaster, that Baldr looks like he's falling back. I am happy how these two turned out. But after taking some pictures, there are still some things that I can improve on. Cleaning the mold lines better (it always looks like I've got it all before I start to paint. I guess I'll need to up my quality control), cleaning up some lines and putting more highlights and other added touches to really make things stand out.

I also need to work on taking better pictures. That or hassle James again. I noticed that some of my earlier pictures turned out really grainy. Shame Mark, shame. At least with these pictures you can see a little bit of my techno colored workstation.

I'll have a few more Imperial units to show you shortly and then an army full of Rebels. Currently I've been playing around with Rebel spy teams with mostly unique characters. I get a lot of activations, but quite a few of the characters are soft. Plus there is some other stuff that I've been working on, that I would like to show. Until next time.



No comments:

Post a Comment