Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Droid Bar

Hey, hey, hey, it's Mark DesLauriers! And have I got some miniatures to share with you!

Okay, Fat Albert rip off intro aside. I do have some miniatures to share with you and it's a good thing that we allow their kind in here. I painted these droids all around the same time.

Lets go to the Droid bar, Droid bar, Droid bar!

I was super excited to get C-3P0 and R2-D2 painted up. Sadly, I don't like how 3P0's paint job turned out. The gold color isn't quite right. Maybe I'll go back and re-paint him one day. Maybe Force Awakens him up a bit and give him a red arm. He's a fun figure to use in Imperial Assault Skirmish as well. He's slow, but can give allies a boost and if adjacent can complicate things for enemy attackers.

R2 was a lot of fun to paint. He had lots of little details to paint and I don't think I've quite gotten over painting white yet. I made his 'feet' pretty dirty. I figure that no matter how many times he gets an oil bath, those are the first things to get dirty. R2 is also fun to use in skirmish, although not for fighting. Usually I just set him up next to a terminal and use his ability to draw extra command cards.

Blam! Murdered you.

IG-88 was a pretty easy miniature to paint. He's mostly all the same metal color. I think I made his blaster rifle darker, to give it some contrast from the rest of him. You can clearly tell that I was having a good time making feet dirty. As IG-88 also looks like he was stomping around in a muddy puddle. He's a pretty tough bounty hunter in Imperial Assault Skirmish as well. I have a friend who likes to use him to great effect. He has a higher cost, which I guess is the trade off.


I tried to play around when painting the Medical Droid. I think I painted him a metallic color and then gave him a green glaze. Then proceeded to throw washes at him followed by some dry brushing. I think it turned out alright. Saska, unfortunately is the result of being tired and done with painting for the day. I had tried to wet blend her jumper, but was left frustrated with the results. So then I just threw some green at her and then gave it a wash and more or less called it a day. Her face also turned out poorly, in my opinion. She isn't likely to be a figure that I use in Imperial Assault, so I doubt that I'll ever come back to her. But maybe. For the bases, I tried to give them an air brushed look. Or at least to make it look like they were standing on metal decking. I may or may not go back and re-base them.

In older miniature news:

We're nothing but trouble!
...getting a shot of their 'good' side.
The man eating tile on the left was a gift from my girlfriend. Despite being mostly stone, it was fun to paint. Probably because it is eating someone. I guess when roaming in a dungeon, it pays to carry a ten foot pole around with you.

The goblin like creature in the middle, is a GW mini. It came in a set of four. They are supposed to be hunters. The other miniatures in the pack are equally cool (although I haven't gotten around to painting them yet). I like how his nose turned out. I believe I achieved it through wet blending (it was one of my first attempts at the process).

The terrifying chest on the right is a mimic from the Reaper Miniatures line. Both it and the stone tile were pewter. The goblin in the middle was a resin figure. Anyways, this was my second attempt at a non metal metallic paint job (the gold trim). I think it turned out alright for what it was. I love how non metal metallics look when done right. But the time involved is a lot greater than just using metallic paint (at least for me and my skill level). I made the dungeon tile base that it is on, using green stuff. I was pretty proud of the result, although you don't actually see too much of it.

Anyways, there's work to be done. So I best get gone. Thanks for looking at my poorly painted miniatures!

No comments:

Post a Comment