Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Wookiee Mania!

It's looking to be a slow work day, so I figured why not post some poorly painted miniatures! It sure beats transferring my Citadel paint pots to eyedroppers. Why would I take on such a tedious task? I'm glad that you asked! So when I first got back into painting miniatures, I needed some paint. GW locations were nearby and they had been around for quite a while. So I figured that they were the way to go. Conveniently they were changing over the colors names and branding. So I picked up a carry case that could hold miniatures and contained all of the new colors and technical paints; at a decent price. Ps. There are a lot of colors and different technical paints.

The GW paints are pretty thick. Which I don't mind, because you can easily thin the paint. What I don't like is that their paint costs more, for less (compared to Reaper, Vallejo, Game Air. I can't say either way about the P3 line.). That being said, it is easier to find their paint than those other brands (P3 is probably the exception). However I did find a hobby store that carries the Vallejo and Game Air lines.

The major sticking point for me, in regards to the GW paint line. Is that the paints come in pots. So you need to drop your brush in there to get the paint out (they do have a little tray on the lid that holds some paint). Which is fine if you are only using one color. If you are pulling multiple colors onto your (wet) pallet, you are constantly having to clean your brush in between pulling colors. Worse, this is the case even with their airbrush paint line (which makes no sense to me, but I get that they already have the paint pots).

Reaper, Vallejo, Game Air, as well as some other paint lines come in eye droppers. You want color? Just drop a few drops and away you go. Much quicker in my opinion. So I decided to switch all of my Citadel paints from pots to droppers. I bought a bunch for super cheap on line and now...now I actually have to put some work into transferring them over. It will be worth it in the end, but it isn't something that I look forward to doing. So my work area is currently a mess. I suppose I should get that done sooner rather than later. I do have a bunch of miniatures that I want to paint. Anyways, on with the show!

Wookiee Madness!
At the last tournament event at one of our local gaming stores, I ran a team mostly comprised of Wookiees. Because why not? They're tough! Sadly, they're also a little slow and if your opponent can stun them and keep a little distance, they can't do a lot. I think I ran one elite unit and one regular unit, in addition to Chewbacca and some ranged units. Either the Rebel Saboteurs or the Echo Base Troopers.
Team Grey
Since I was running with two different Wookiee Warrior units, I decided to paint each group a different color with a different base set. That way I could easily distinguish between the two units.

Team Brown
I also gave them different colored arm bands. I'm happy with how their fur turned out. Lots of layering and lots of washes. I think their scratched up swords also look good. I'm not sure if you can tell or not, but with team Brown, one of the Wookiee's has a lighter blond fu manchu moustache. Ha. He's definitely ready to tear off his shirt and throw down!

Who are you and what have you done with Chewie?
I figured that I may as well paint all of my Wookiees. I'm disappointed with how Chewbacca turned out. I felt like their was a lot of pressure there, because everyone knows what Chewbacca looks like. It doesn't really look like him. He just looks like another Wookiee to me (speciesist, I know). I did like how the rust turned out on his base. I feel like I've gotten rust on a base (and probably weapons) down. I have some rust powder that I've been meaning to try out. Most likely on something large and filled with metal surfaces. Large miniatures kind of intimidate me at the moment. However, that might change once I get the hang of my airbrush.

Chop dem giant Kashyyyk vegetables!
He's definitely putting his weight into this swing

I like how both Gaarkhan and his base turned out. Stepping on that stone fit with his sculpt and really makes it look like he's coming down hard on someone with his vibro glaive. He's not someone that you want to mess with. I can't remember what he is like for Imperial Assault Skirmish. Chewbacca is fun to use, but too expensive for what you're getting. You get 40 points to build your army and he costs 15 points, I believe. He does tend to stick around, but that's a lot of points for one character.

As usual, the professional looking photo was provided by my good friend James. The poorly taken photos were provided by my handheld portable phone device.

No comments:

Post a Comment